Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The End of the Hope of Cool

I have always been a nerd, but a nerd with the hope of one day, achieving some small degree of cool - even if that turns out to be racing stripes on my walker. A shred of optimism in my otherwise cynical and sarcastic heart.

Today that hope is on life support, and likely by tonight, the plug will be pulled.

The subtitle of today's post should be: Enter the Minivan.

A Toyota Sienna. Seven seats, which should increase our schlepping-people power by a factor of almost two.

This past weekend on the way down to Mom's, Siennas were all I saw on I-95, it was like they were on some sort of southern migratory pathway. It was the universe's way of conking me over the head and telling me that my biggest nightmare is about to come true.

We are going to become one of 'those people.' Surburbanites, soccer parents. There were two things I told Steve while we were dating: I will not change my surname when married and I will NEVER drive a minivan.

This will be Steve's car, FYI. Not that a Honda CRV is a huge step up the ladder toward cool, but small steps are better than no steps.

And I still use the name I was born with. So all is not lost, yet.

1 comments:

LifeWith3 said...

Look on it as an opportunity!!!

I have a friend who just got an Odyssey and I'm trying hard not to drool on it.

Mind you, I *love* my Subaru and had I stayed at 2 children, it would have been just perfect. Its got great gas mileage, it handles like a dream, the dog loves the way back and its perfect for tooling all of us to the park. And is it ever safe!! I can just fit 3 kids in it. It turns out it is one of the few sedan type cars in my price range that can accomodate 2 booster seats and 1 car seat smushed, barely, in the back. You have to go much farther up the ladder to a Camry to find another. No luxuries like cup holders in the back of my wagon -- thank goodness -- they take up precious booster seat space and every 2" matters.

Do you know how many kids you can fit in a minivan? Think of it as an opportunity. :-) :-) My friend and I can fit all 6 of our kids in her Odyssey. We'll probably experiment with taking just the mini-van to Cape Cod this year for vacation (we've gone up in two cars the past two years). Three kids in booster seats, one kid in a car seat, and two kids on their butts ... I'm in search of very skinny backless boosters to see if we can get the two on their butts a little higher.

The day I can pay off my current debt such that I'm comfortable getting that mini-van, is the day I admit to myself I'm ready for the next child. :-) :-)