Thea picked that moment to come unglued about not being able to play a round of Candyland at Oma's and she pitched a rather spectacular hissy-fit. Tear, recriminations, snot, more tears, all with major splashes of whining. This DID NOT help with plans to get on the road because my mother was not going to sit in the car with a fit-throwing child. So as Mom is getting ready and gathering up her stuff, I am hissing major threats in Thea's ears about what will happen if she blows the surprise.
I tossed both kids in the car with a few more threats heaped on Thea's head and went in to tell Mom that everything was fine. By the time she ambled out to the car, everything was not fine, we were on to Round #2 of Tears/Snot/Recriminations, but by then I was hissing at my mother that SHE wasn't going to make me go through this alone, so she'd better get her butt in the car. NOW.
It is now 12:40 pm. The stadium is about five minutes from Mom's house. I am starting to sweat, because even with a stop at the SunTrust ATM at Safeway, we have time on our hands. Time the guests need to find their way to the party suite. Fortunately Thea is almost back to her pre-hissy fit state after being allowed to go with me to the ATM and punch in the PIN, etc.
So we head to the stadium, and instead of taking the ever so convenient back roads, I take Route 301. As we are heading about half way to the turn off, the lightbulb goes off: Mom, do you think that the White Plains post office still might have the Lunar New Year stamps? (And you thought that I wasn't going to mention LNY again until 2010!) So we pulled in to the post office: Closed as of 12 noon. Then Mom comes up with the idea to try the Waldorf post office. Genius! It will take at least ten minutes to get there, a few minutes in the post office, and ten minutes back. Amen, problem solved. Further erosion of my newborn ulcer averted.
Except that my mother knew that I bought quite a few sheets of LNY stamps during our last trip. So add another lie to the pot, there are fewer stamps per sheet (true) and I've used them up. (I did use a couple of sheets to mail out the invitations to her surprise party, but I still have at least three or four.) At the post office, again I let Thea come with me, because she's gotten her act together so I need to enlist her help at the stadium and heap a little praise on her head to do my bidding at when we get to crunch time. We also bought two more sheets of LNY stamps - and with rates going up again in May 2009, I will probably be buying one- or two-cent stamps to be able to use them all up.
Now we head to the stadium. It's a gray, cool, drizzly day. The weather was not festive in the least. So when we arrive in the parking lot there are a few cars - which does give it the appearance of something going on. I pull in and swing wide through the lot not knowing how much (or little) my mother would pay attention to the other cars there (cousins with NC plates, more cousins with Virginia plates, a set of Pennsylvania plates, her neighborhood friends' cars).
I'm ready to head in and get this over with. Let's shout SURPRISE and be done. Let Karl take over responsibility for Mom as the organizer and host of the party. Someone, buy me a drink.
But we are talking about my mother. "You go and find out where this thing is, because I am not getting out this car just to wander aimlessly through the stadium." So I go out on the reconnaisance mission.
Thea and I trot out into the drizzle right as one of my mother's friends is coming up the other part of the sidewalk. I am hoping that my mother is chatting with Micah and not looking in the rear view or side view mirrors or we're screwed right as we're heading to the finish line.
We stop into the stadium office, a staff member points us out to a suite along the third base line, the friend goes off to join the guests and Thea and I head back to the car to get Oma and Micah. And Micah is out cold, fast asleep. Nice. I have to fold up the lump and stuff him into the umbrella stroller.
So Micah gets unceremoniously plunked in his stroller and Oma gets to push him (versus using her cane), and we make the trek back to the party suite.
Right as we're coming to the building, two ladies, one carrying a helium container (giving me the clue she's the person my brother made arrangements with to do the decorating) start heading our way. But she was on the ball when she saw my face, she comes up with, "Are you here for the coupons? They are SO disorganized, everyone's waiting around, I'm going off to have lunch and come back.) Nice cover story, promising future in covert ops if her party decorating sideline goes belly-up.
So we head in to the foyer area, Thea and I in the lead, Mom and the stroller-bound Micah bringing up the rear. The last thing I said to her before she got to the doorway was "Come on, Mom, I want to get in line!" Mom comes in, blows right by the giant banner with HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGARET on it, says something like "Oh, look at all the balloons." Everyone yells SURPRISE and she still hasn't truly processed what was going on. You can almost hear the synapses firing in domino-like fashion. Since I was behind her I missed seeing her face as the lightbulb went off when she first took in everything.
There were old neighbors from when we lived in Hyattsville, there was her cousin from Florida, cousins from the Baltimore area, Aunt Mary, Donna and Bill from North Carolina, friends of hers who came all the way from Delaware, a friend whose mother worked with Mom's father, so many of her local friends this posting would go on forever it I tried to account for everyone. Even though I sent out the invitations, it was mind-blowing to see everyone there, so I know it was a huge surprise for Mom. Sometimes it doesn't take much to boggle her mind, and this did it and did it well. My brother did good, really, really big good.


Mom high-fiving it with the little cousins: Elise (2), Micah (3), Bailah (5) and Willi (3)







1 comments:
Mom and Dad said that the party was wonderful! I sympathize with the stress of not spilling the beans, but the way I hear it from the guest side, everyone had a wonderful time.
Post a Comment