Tonight the kids and I were going to be on our own for dinner, and since Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (aka Kiddie Crack) two nights in a row would not be a culinary high point, I decided that we would make chicken vegetable soup tonight.
We went to the store and picked up some chicken, a bag of egg noodles and a few vegetables, to be supplemented with stuff already at home. It was going to be a group project.
Until Thea got bored with being on the sidelines because chopping celery and carrots is a Mommy job. So I thought, she's been cooking at the stove (with supervision) for more than a year, how about some simple chopping? She was interested in stepping up to the big leagues and we made it through more than half dozen carrots (the baby peeled variety) before the knife met the finger and bloodshed ensued.
She was pretty calm about it, we rinsed it, elevated, wrapped it up in a couple of bandaids and she gamely went on to cut a few more before deciding to hang her knife up and move on to sauteeing the chicken.
We changed the bandaid after we got done cooking, and it was still actively bleeding and I could see it was a small flap-type cut. So I started wondering if we should go to the Fast Track at the ER to get a little Dermabond or whatever type of skin glue that is used on kids. At the mention of the ER/hospital, Thea completely lost her composure, so I really bandaged it up well in the hopes that we could at least make it through dinner. The back of my brain was still thinking we're going to need to go to the ER, wailing or no wailing.
Needless to say, Thea didn't eat much of her soup, and resumed wailing once I again mentioned that if she was still actively bleeding through the bandage, we're going.
Fortune smiled on her and it looked pretty good. Even after peeling off three bandaids it wasn't even oozing, so we all got a reprieve. And thanks to all the emotional trauma she was falling asleep on the sofa at around 7:30, but revived after the move upstairs to our bed where she managed to watch Word Girl and Cyberchase before going to bed. Since Thea still likes one of us to stay with her until she falls asleep, Micah was left on our bed, singing himself to sleep.
Meanwhile, earlier in the day, I stopped at FedEx/Kinkos to copy the form to begin Micah's evaluation by the Child Study Team at Orchard Elementary, then handdelivered the form to the school. Ela suggested registered mail, but since we were coming home from Summit School and going right down Route 206, why give the business to the USPS? The clock starts ticking, the CTS has 90 days to schedule all of his evaluations.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
A Slice of Life
Posted by LMG at Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Labels: ER, IEP, Transition
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment