Saturday, October 11, 2008

Micah ditches Mommy

Micah comes back to my office with me after daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays, mostly because I still have notes to type into the EMR, phone calls to return and files to strip for scanning into the EMR - and most of this just isn't possible during the day with seeing patients, so it waits until I'm done with appointments. It's boring, I know, but I try to have boxes or a balloon or something to entertain him, and there's usually snacks around. But I know it's a long wait until Steve and Thea pick him up.

Thursday my NP colleague was leaving for home, which is just down the street from the office and Micah went to follow her, stuck his hand in hers and without so much as a backward glance to me, his now not quite so adoring mother, trotted off. Karen had said she could take him home - and Micah has been to her house already back in July and she has a car seat in her car for her grandson Nate who is around Micah's age. Micah has seen her both around the office and as one of his health care providers. But still and all it just stunned me more than just a bit that he was just so OK with it. I felt like he was trading up for a better model or something.

Steve and Thea picked him up and then they were off to meet family for dinner, and I got to kill off the impressive stack of charts waiting to be stripped so the medical records people could scan them. Done, done, done - and all my charts. Of course since I'd let the pile grow to an almost unmanageable level, it took me until 10 pm to get through it all.

0 comments: