Saturday, March 7, 2009

Daylight Savings Time !

Spring forward! I just love it. More daylight. One less hour on call this weekend. Bonus.

Twenty people seen during office hours this morning. That's what I usually see in the course of both morning and afternoon sessions. A non-stop parade of upper respiratory symptoms interspersed with two UTIs, one traveler's diarrhea, and a vaginal discharge that was masquerading as a stomach problem - though the jig was up when one of the front desk staff knocked on the door and started to open it while the patient was on the table, in the stirrups. I managed a very emphatic "NOT A GOOD TIME" (my version of "GO AWAY") before the door opened more than an inch.

Meanwhile and far away, the calls from the answering service started right as I pulled up in front of the salon for my 4 pm appointment. Refill for a Xanax prescription. Nice of the person to call AFTER office hours. Nice of him to listen to the message prior to the answering service picking up. Totally inappropriate. What do I look like the benzodiazepine fairy?

AND, to ice the cake, once I got home I looked up his medical record and his Xanax had been renewed on March 2nd. And if he's going through 60 Xanax 0.5mg in five days, he's got something going on that is a little bit beyond just phoning in a refill. AND to further decorate the icing on this cake the patient told the answering service that the dosage was 1mg. Weasel, weasel, weasel. But since the pharmacy where the March 2nd refill was sent was closed (yes, I am mean-spirited enough to check up on patients) until Monday morning, I gave in and called in #15 to the Walgreens, which had better keep him off the phone until the office reopens on Monday and he can deal with his regular provider.

Call just mystefies me. I don't think that my parents ever called the doctor's office after hours, I've never done it as an adult; it's either a suck it up, suffer and do the symptomatic care situation or it's bad enough to go the ER.

I'm working five days this coming week; one of the doctors is off on a ski trip to Vermont. The regular, now slighty abbreviated Tuesday and Thursday, and mornings only the remainder of the week.

Meanwhile family went to see Grandma and to Turtleback Zoo.

0 comments: