If we had a scanner, I'd put the whole four page document in the blog, I'm so proud of Thea. Report cards were issued Friday, one week later than originally scheduled; Thea's was definitely worth the wait.
Instead of the A-B-C-D-F grading pattern, or the E-VG-G-S-US system used back when I was in elementary school, YingHua uses C-D-P-E - and before you fry your frontal lobe trying figuring out the secret code, it stands for Of Concern, Developing, Progressing Well and Exceeding Grade Level. Being new to all this, I don't know if this is a system unique to YingHua Day School, an International Baccalaureate system or the way grades are expressed in elementary schools in general.
Thea rocked out the Science and Reading (English) categories with all "E"s, and the rest were a mix of "P"s and "E"s. The reading wasn't exactly a shock, Thea started reading in January of this year, and she loves it; her science grades were a bit of a surprise.
Here's what the Mandarin-immersion kindergartner is graded on:
Chinese Listening
Chinese Speaking
Chinese Character Recognition
Chinese Writing
Social Studies
Numbers and Numerical Operations
Geometry and Measurement
Patterns
English Reading
English Writing
Science
Each of those categories has several sub-categories that are graded. So much more than the "knows one's colors," "knows one's letters/numbers" from Kindergarten circa 1965. I truly am in awe of her.
Micah, Thea and I are going to Storybook Land in Little Egg Harbor tomorrow with a friend from my office and her daughter, and I hope to get one photo that can be turned into a Christmas card. Micah will be in heaven: a choo-choo train, antique cars to drive, a carousel, what more could he ask for.





0 comments:
Post a Comment