Monday, December 1, 2008

The Sunday NYT Magazine

Irritation du jour:

From the New York Times Magazine's Sunday, November 30, 2008 cover story Her Body, My Baby on her experience with gestational surrogacy Alex Kuczynski wrote:

"Of all the possible mothering paradigms I could count - birth mother, biological mother, child-raising mother, legally recognized mother - I would fit three of the roles. I had to settle for three-quarters his mother. That seemed like more than enough."

Way to slap the faces of thousands upon thousands of families formed by adoption, Alex. You may be a good writer, but as a compassionate, thoughtful person you suck. Some thoughts should be kept to yourself and your mental mathematical equations of motherhood top my list.

And (as if there needed to be an 'and') what was really glaring was the photo of Alex and her infant son with the baby nurse standing in the background. So obviously she didn't go through multiple miscarriages, twelve rounds of in vitro fertilizations, tens of thousands of dollars and surrogacy (I'm paraphrasing from the article) to actually do the dirty work involved in motherhood. Don't chip your nails or get any drool on your designer dress, dahling.

I hope Santa puts a bit fat lump of coal in her stocking.

0 comments: