Friday, December 19, 2008

Coming Soon on a Christmas Card Near You. . .

The Winner for the 2008 Holiday Card



The Runner-Up for the 2008 Holiday Card

Tonight was do-or-die time for our 2008 holiday card, it was either going to happen or we were going to take a pass this year.

So during dinner I put the squeeze on Thea. Mommy wants to take pictures for our Christmas card. And I want you to wear a dress. I want you to wear the dress that's been hanging on your door for the past two years (or more). The dress your cousin Norah wore when she was the flower girl for Mommy and Daddy's wedding.

No.

So I resorted to bribes. Money? No. Chocolate. No. (This was a sign she was serious in her refusal, my children would likely set their father on fire for chocolate.)

She would consider the red velvet dress that I bought last week. (Weakness, a crack in the armor, must exploit.)

Finally after a few more rounds of emotional blackmail that I am sure will cost us thousands of dollars in future therapy, Thea consented.

And thank goodness she did, because even though Norah was the same age Thea is now when she performed her duties as the best and most beautiful flower girl on the planet, Norah was a reed-like five. Thea is built like a five-year old stockade, solid, rock solid. Next year would have been too late, if she keeps growing at the rate she is.

What you don't see in the picture is that only the top button of the dress is buttoned, what you don't hear is the whining about something inside the dress itching/hurting/bothering her. (I remember no such complaints from the first wearer of the dress.)

Last year, I think I took close to 60 pictures; this year due to the lateness of the hour (we were doing this after Cyberchase, which ends at 9 PM), I took fewer than 30. It felt like herding cats while having a root canal, how hard can it be to get two people to sit nicely, smile in a way that isn't totally artificial and wait for Mommy's somewhat sluggish camera to snap the picture?


Micah making Play-Doh Cookies during his lesson with Ela. The Play-Doh practice run was followed a week later by baking sugar cookies.

Bonnie and Clyde free-wheeling at Storybook Land on December 14, 2008.

0 comments: