Saturday, May 15, 2010

Alumni Day at Penn



 





Today was Alumni Day at Penn.  I think that Thea had been to at least four out of the last five; I've been taking her since the days when she still was in her stroller.  It's much more fun now:  she brought her Nintendo DS so attending the lecture on autism was no problem, she loves the parade part and this year there was fried chicken on the buffet table.  All in all a good day, though the Bookstore was a bit overrun with customers and by the time we were on our way back to College Green for the obligatory visit to The Button, Thea claimed to be too tired so we headed back to the car.

Thea picked a Penn Nursing Science Haiti Now t-shirt which was being sold to raise funds to help rebuild a school of nursing in Haiti - good choice of souvenir.  She's wearing it as her night shirt, and I'm still sort of in shock that an adult/small t-shirt isn't all that big on her.

I wish I could attend the School of Nursing's commencement.  Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools, is the speaker.  Wow.  I would need to dig out the programs from my 1997 and 1998 graduation ceremonies to see who spoke, but if it would have been someone like Mortenson, it would go down as one of the more memorable events in my life.   3 pm Monday at the Kimmel Center, I hope someone does a webcast.

0 comments: