. . .I wrote about going to the grocery store, but forgot about the most interesting part. As we were cruising the soup/canned goods aisle, Thea hanging off the front of the cart, Micah in the kid seat, groceries piling up, a lady comes over to us and says, "He has the same thing I have!" and pulls back the hair behind her ear to show us her BAHA on an implanted post. Yikes, attack of the BAHA lady! She is clearly thrilled to meet another person with BAHAs, Micah who is usually incredibly sociable, doesn't quite know what to make of this lady, who is now joined by her husband and two kids. Her microtia is not quite as severe as Micah's, and she said she had auditory canal surgery (though was still using her BAHAs and I couln't really see her canals clearly. It made her day, but the kids were just as happy to move on to the next aisle.
We had a funny exchange about who made her aids . When I asked if she had Cochlear BAHAs, she said, no. They were made in Sweden (where Cochlear's HQ is.) It was one of those you had to be there moments, straight out of "Who's on First?"
Some days I think I might actually prefer those who make stupid comments or stare better than those who come up to you oozing enthusiasm and energy. At least on those days when I don't get to hit the Dunkin Donuts before I hit the grocery store.
Monday, July 27, 2009
In the Aisle at the Grocery Store. . .
Posted by LMG at Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment