Thursday, July 2, 2009

Blogoversary

What a horrible addition to the ever-evolving English language. July 1st marks the day that I've been blogging for two years, starting a few days before we left for China to meet Micah. It started as pure avoidance of the chore of packing up three suitcase and two carry-ons for four people.

Once upon a time, in the Land Before Blogs, I tried to write a letter to Thea once a month on or around the 13th of each month, and I did fairly well for about two years. It's stashed someone on one of the computers, along with all the emails that I sent from our first trip to China. Between 2004 and 2007, along came blogs, and here we are.

It was an uneventful, eventful day. Micah went back to school, survived his transition to Miss Margie's classroom - and his BAHA is back from its vacation/spa treatment in Colorado. The audiologist at school went to put it back on his band, but we'd taken out the mounting piece (they're expensive, and if he tugged off the BAHA it could go flying, never to be seen again.)

Only one call so far, I'm on call again - with the one provider out on family leave and one on vacation, the grace period that usually comes after a weekend on call is not in the cards.

After dinner the kids and I went to fill up my car's gas tank, and while we were waiting at the gas station, we saw a double rainbow. We could actually see the arc going up into the clouds and then down again. It was pretty cool - but unfortunately if I would have tried to photograph it, the rainbow would have appeared behind all the powerlines that run along Route 1. Once the car was happy, we went into town to Thomas Sweets for ice cream - and along the way there were people out for walks who were pausing to look at the rainbow.

Thea had chocolate ice cream, so Micah had what she had, until it went onto the ground. Thea nearly died (she was promised any that Micah didn't eat and he quickly lost interest). They ran around the grounds of an old school building is next to the ice cream parlor, which provided the opportunity for them to be snacked on by mosquitoes - both had at least two or three welts, so it was Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream all around after their showers. Somehow the bugs don't seem to like old, grumpy B+ blood, so I was unscathed.

I'm on a new medication for pain, new as in new to the market - and one I wouldn't have chosen mostly because I had to endure months of him hyping the as-yet-unreleased medication without really being able to say when it would actually be on the market. It helped without knocking me out, the knee still hurt a bit, but I was moving better and in a better mood because of it.

Happy Birthday, dear Blog, you're probably better and cheaper than a therapist.

0 comments: