Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bite Me, Yet Again, NJ Bureau of Vital Statistics

Many months ago I blogged about going to the BVS to get Micah's NJ birth certificate and how what the NJ BVS gaveth, it tooketh away about two weeks later, claiming that his birth certificates had the incorrect file number on it. It all was resolved, or so I thought, after I sent the incorrect certificates back to BVS and new ones were reissued. Matter concluded, all in less time that it took to get Thea's birth certificate three years ago, one more thing checked off the list.

So imagine the spike in my blood pressure when I get another letter from BVS stamped in red with FINAL NOTICE stating that the issue of the incorrect birth certficates was still outstanding. I put the letter on top of the envelope with all of Micah's other documents that are waiting there until I muster the energy to apply for his passport, and let it marinate for a few days. Until it popped into my head again Monday at around 4:05 pm.

No NJ state employee answers a phone after 4 pm, or so it seems, so I left the pinhead who sent the threatening missive a voice mail. So the nice head of steam I worked up was all for naught.

And then I called her again during a brief lull in the morning. The woman agreed that the file numbers on the certificates in my possession are indeed the correct ones, offered nothing remotely like an apology (and she called me "Hon" which just automatically torques my shorts) and then we concluded our call.

And there went the five minutes that I could've gotten a cup of coffee, checked email or gone to the restroom.

The afternoon was spent, 12:30 to 3 pm or so in EMR training. We're getting an electronic medical record system. Much as I love technology, gadgets and geekery, there are parts of this that seem like a major headache. Or I'm on the downside of my learning curve. God help me on the 29th when we go live, there isn't going to be enough chocolate in the world to soothe my psyche.

So I'll practice for my next career: "Would you like fries with your order?"

0 comments: