Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lunar New Year - The Real Thing

The holiday on Monday was not celebrated in the traditional fashion, no hong bao (red envelopes), no new clothes, no traditional Chinese cooking, and most of all I did not bust my behind cleaning the house to welcome the new year or burning up the Kitchen God so that he would ascend to heaven and give a good report on us.

Thea did have the day off from school, so she got to hang out with Micah, Ela and me for Micah's session. She was resonably patient with Micah and only a little bit bossy (to both Micah and Ela).

After that the three of us struck out for MarketFair to have lunch and see the movie 'Hotel for Dogs' - I thought Thea might like it, and because it had dogs in it, I also thought it might hold Micah's attention for more than a few minutes. The Regal Cinema at MarketFair has stadium seating, and this became a blessing because Micah seemed to wander checking out almost all of the seats, except those occupied by two other patrons; Thea only wanted one change in seating to go up higher. My prediction that Micah would eventually fall asleep thanks to lunch and the two hour session with Ela did not pan out, not even close.

Thea liked the plot, but got a little bored thought the middle, and I think if I'd offered to bail out, both would have followed me. But for $7 a ticket for me and $6.50 for Thea (Micah was a freebie), we were sitting tight until the end. It was cute, but not exactly something I am going to rush out and buy when it's released on DVD.

By evening Thea had a little bit of a sore throat, so she got to have a mug of tea while sitting in bed listening to Chapter 15 of The Penderwicks. That was probably the best part of the day for her. Micah also seemed like he's fighting off something, he got a session with Mr. Nasal Aspirator since trying to get him to blow his nose doesn't seem to working. He makes the sound effects orally but doesn't push the air out through his nose.

This weekend we're going to try big boy underwear to try to win him over to the world of those of us who don't wear port-a-potties on our privates. He likes being naked, so maybe this will feel more naked than diapers - but he also likes going commando which is not going to happen. If I take off his diaper and turn my back for one second, he's taken to scooting away and pulling up his pants and doing a little free-ballin' happy dance.

Micah and I are going for his intake interview at Summit Speech School on Tuesday, February 3rd. The case manager/social worker from the school district called and said that the school offered three dates: 2/3, 2/5 and 2/12. I picked the first date just to get it over with - and as dumb luck would have it, the case manager (who doesn't need to be at the meeting) isn't available that day. Works for me, even though I will miss a morning at work.

0 comments: