Tuesday morning back at work, and already the weekend has blurred into a foggy blob of what did I really accomplish this weekend? Not much in the way of cleaning the house or working on the garage. Too bad.
Thursday was the end of the Third Grade Inquiry project, with the 132 students who stuck it out to the end (or who did enough work so as not be asked to drop out) showing off their work in the cafeteria at Town Center School. Thea did well, worked without note cards answering questions about what she learned about genes and DNA; we were proud of her and her presentation looked liked she did it. There were two others who also worked on similar projects - one with a slick Power Point presentation on a laptop (which to me smacked of too much parental involvement). Thea hasn't gotten the paper back that her reviewer used to evaluate her presentation, but it will be interesting to see. Particularly since the glue was still drying on the the tri-fold poster board as we were walking in.
Friday, the car and I went to Honda for a much overdue oil change. Nice of them to tell me on paper that my tires need replacing, it would've been nice to hear it in person rather than finding it out when I flipped the receipt over one day later. The rest of the day was devoted to sewing: the two Saturday Sampler squares for PQW, which I usually finish within a day or so of bringing them home, Thea's Brownie and Junior vests and the start of a Four Square Farmhouse quilt top. I forgot the pinwheel lap quilt top that I was working on so I couldn't put on the trim on the bottom edge - got to dig that out before it becomes a UFO (which translates an unfinished object).
Saturday while Micah was at his friend Leland's birthday party, Thea and I went to the EMS store to pick up two dunk bags for the Brownies camping trip next weekend. I remember dunk bags from my own Girl Scouts camping experiences, but instead of plastic, I think it was made of metal. Then we went to Target to pick up sleeping bags and print up pictures for the troop leader to put in the scrapbook. Once all that was finished, I could get back to sewing.
Which continued into Sunday, and once I had twenty squares for a lap quilt, making ten more for a twin-sized didn't seem so unreasonable.
But on Monday the two shops I frequent were both closed for Memorial Day so the five light / five dark batiks had to come from my stash and not from fat quarters. So with a True Blood marathon on HBO and the kids at the Princeton pool with Steve, I made ten more squares.
Which leads me to wish there was an app for the iPad to put in pictures of quilt squares to crop and shuffle into the most pleasing pattern. Doing this by laying them out on the bed is both time consuming and annoying and makes it a chore similar to working through a GRE question where you have five red books, four yellow books, two green and six red books, the red can't touch the yellow, the the blue can't touch the green, so where does the black book go? Tedium exemplified.
Meanwhile in the backyard, the chemical- and money-sucking cesspit that was the above ground swimming pool is GONE. Two Thursdays ago Steve mentioned that Thea didn't really care if we had the backyard pool so maybe we should get rid of it. Somehow I mentioned this in passing to Mike who was at the office to repair the hole in the wall made by one of my patient's who passed out, and he has a neighbor who wanted an above-ground backyard pool. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Gone, gone, gone as of Friday when I came back from Honda to pick up my quilting supplies to find two trucks in the driveway and heard the sounds of men doing manly disassembling things coming from the backyard. I grabbed my stuff and trotted back to the car.
.Now I have my mother telling me that I should use it to plant an herb and vegetable garden. Like that's ever going to happen. I am just not the tilling the soil sort of woman; quilting, yes, gardening, big fat NO. This is not Little House on the Prairie here.
No sewing this weekend: Brownie's overnight camping trip to a Girl Scout camp in Somerset County and Ying Hua, the last class followed by the end-of-year ceremony.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Memorial Day Mind Fog
Posted by LMG at Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment