Monday, May 11, 2009

CME Frenzy

Saturday I went to Morristown Hospital for a free CME program, the First Annual Vascular Update. Not exactly a topic to rock my world, but free is free - and come 2013, I've got to have 150 hours of continuing education, something in the neighborhood of 1,500 to 2,000 clinical hours worked, a sheaf of forms and $350+ to renew my ANCC board certification.

During the down time at the seminar, I pulled out my Palm and went into ePocrates and started whipping through a few mobile CME programs. Most of them are in the 0.25 to 1 CME range (by comparison, the seminar was good for five hours of credit).

Then today while the kids were playing in Marquand Park (aka the Sand Park, to Micah, which means that he brings home about a pound of sand in his shoes), I took the Palm with me and banged out a few more programs. While starting dinner, I put the PDA on its cradle and synch-ed it. The CME certificates then started to filter into my email. I usually get maybe a dozen emails a day, if that. B-O-O-M, 55 emails arrive.

Then I needed to print the certificates, and enter the information on the spreadsheet that I made to keep a running total of my CME credits, and I went from having two CMEs to 39.75 and two lines in my spreadsheet to 64.

Now back to slacker mode, already in progress. My goal was 30 to 40 credits a year, done.

0 comments: